Adjectives (describe nouns): They come before nouns or after v. to be.
Adverbs (mostly describe verbs): They come after verbs.
little in little
friendly in a friendly way
brotherly in a brotherly way
• Nader is……………... (bad-badly)
• He plays……………..(bad-badly)
• I saw a ………………….boy yesterday. (bad-badly)
• She got up…………, but she arrived at school………… (early-late)
• Mr Magdy is a ……..….... person. He teaches us …………..… (in a friendly way-friendly)
1- Adverbs of manner: (How…?) (They come after the verb or the object.)
• It rained heavily.
• He watched the statue curiously.
• He shouted angrily.
2- Adverbs of place: (Where…?)
• He travelled abroad.
• He lives upstairs.
• She is waiting outside.
3- Adverbs of time: (When…?)
• He'll travel to Cairo tomorrow.
• I saw her yesterday.
• Nancy is reading now.
4- Adverbs of frequency: (How often…?)
• He always comes on time.
• She rarely visits us.
• Hany never washes his hands.
5- Adverbs of degree: (To what extent…?) (They modify adjectives, adverbs &verbs)
(Ex.: quite – rather – fairly – very – extremely)
• Ahmed is fairly good. (30%)
• Ayman is quite polite. (50%)
• Ashraf is rather old. (70%)
• Marina is very rich. (90%)
• My uncle is extremely rich. (100%)
# Re-write the following sentences using the word(s) between brackets to give the same meaning:
1- The cheetah is quick. (runs)
2- This building is very high. (extremely)
3- Nada is always late. (comes)
4- His advice to me was brotherly. (advised)
5- Ahmed is fluent in English. (speaks)
6- Violence on TV has a bad effect on children. (affects)
7- Samer swims well. (good)
8- Smoking affects lungs badly. (bad)
9- Mona Zaki is a beautiful actress. (beautifully)
10- My money is enough to buy that expensive mobile. (have)
11- Tamer Hosny is a very good singer. (well)
12- Mahmoud El Gohary trained players efficiently. (efficient)
13- Monica is careful. (behaves)
14- I drive carefully. (driver)
15- Abu Treika was bad when he played the match. (badly)
16- It is probable he will be the director. (probably)
17- The child was happy when he played with his toys. (happily)
18- They are polite. (politely)