Answer the following questions:
1) What were the charges against Darney in England? What was the verdict?
Darney was accused of treason. He was accused of being a spy for the French. He was acquitted because the unknown witness couldn't tell the difference between him and Carton.
2) Who was defending Darney? Who helped him?
3) Was Barsad a convincing witness? Why?
No, because he seemed to be a partner of the Attorney General as he said the exact story and words. He went to prison many times. He forgot the source of his wealth. He was a gambler and a cheater. He borrowed money from Darney and never paid them back.
4) How was Carton's presence at the court of great importance?
5) How did the unknown witness harm Darney?
He harmed him by saying that he saw him at the town café where the English army was staying.
6) Who was Dickens' jackal and why?
The jackal was Sydney Carton and the lion was his friend, the successful lawyer Mr. Stryver. Carton was the jackal because he did all the difficult work for Striver. While Striver gained money, fame and popularity, Carton gained nothing.
7) What's meant by 'echoing footsteps'?
The revolution will take place in France, but its effects will be felt in England.
What were the two promises?
Dr Manette promised Darney that if Lucie loved him he would agree to the marriage.
The second promise was made by Carton to Lucie. He promised her to sacrifice his life for her or for anyone she loved.
9) Why did Carton not propose marriage to Lucie?
Although he loved her dearly, he knew that he wasn't a suitable husband for her. He was careless, reckless and idle. He knew that Lucie didn't love him, but only had sympathy for him. He knew that he would cause her misery, sorrow, unhappiness and disgrace if she married him.
10) How did Darney earn his living in England?
He worked as a teacher of French language and literature, and a translator.
11) Darney washed his hands of his family's actions. Discuss.
12) What was Darney's plan for the future? Whose wish was it?
13) The sun and the Marquis were going down together. Discuss.